The Watershed School is an innovative independent school in Boulder, Colorado serving students in grades 6-12. Founded in 2004, the school offers a unique educational program emphasizing academic rigor with an inquiry-based approach, and a nurturing and caring community. The school is intentionally small to support our educational model; however, the school continues to grow. In 2013-2014, the school will enroll approximately fifty-five students
Head of School
Watershed seeks a Head of School who passionately supports the school’s philosophy and mission, and will thrive in a workplace that attracts bright, creative, and passionate educators; committed administrators; and exceptional students. Our new leader will embrace and foster our students’ intellectual power and rigor, inquisitiveness, emotional intelligence, collaborative spirit, social conscience, integrity, and love of school.
Financial sustainability will be the main challenge facing the new Head of School. The school is still in the early stage of development which requires a balance between entrepreneurial innovation and the implementation of sustainable administrative systems. The Head of School will need to look at the various components of the school’s sustainability including enrollment, internal fiscal responsibility, and fundraising. Cultivating relationships with key donors both internally and externally will be a key component. Public speaking, charisma, and marketing skills are necessary to be successful.
Our next Head of School will:
- Be passionate about the philosophy and mission of the school and be able to articulate, inspire and model these values with all constituencies.
- Have experience with authentic assessments, performance-based assessments, experiential learning, and inquiry –based and project-based learning
- Understand the basics of independent school finance and be willing to lead on fundraising initiatives
- Be able to develop and foster community by implementing best practices and current curricular research that supports the relevancy and necessity of character education.
- Have demonstrated experience with innovative, educational best practices and research.
- Manage school enrollment including outreach to prospective students and retention of existing students
- Have obtained a Master’s degree or higher in a related field
- Have previous experience in school administration (Head of School, Asst. Head, Department Chair, Dean, etc.) desired- preferably with an independent school
- Be able to build effectively relationships with families and external constituents including a variety of community based groups.
- Be willing to take risks and try new ideas to further the school mission
- Have teaching experience and knowledge of adolescent development
- Have a collaborative and democratic management style
- Have demonstrated leadership skills, including integrity, diplomacy, effective decision making , and clear and open communication
- Have the ability to see the positive strengths in people and work from those strengths
- Understand the governance model for independent schools, including the role of the Board of Trustees and the relationship with the Head of School.
- Previous experience selecting and mentoring faculty and staff to ensure a the mission of the school is best served
If you got excited, not a little excited but your heart started racing, reading about this opportunity, then we encourage you to apply. Additional information about Watershed can be found at http://watershedschool.org.
Please submit the following materials for consideration:
- Cover letter outlining why Watershed and this Head of School position is exciting to you
- Resume which includes dates of previous employment
- Statement of educational philosophy
- Three or four professional references
- Please write a response to the following questions. Please limit your response to no more than ¾ page per question.
- How have you demonstrated cutting edge educational research into your teaching, leadership, or current position? Please be specific.
- What two specific programs, lessons, or opportunities have you created in the past two years that have contributed to the growth or enhancement of your current position, class, or school?
Please send all documents in PDF or Word format to email@example.com. Christine Lipson from HRConcierge is our search consultant. She will receive all electronic submissions and follow-up with the top candidates. Please, no phone calls to the school, regular mail or fax submission- we strive to be paperless.
Applications will be reviewed upon submission. You are encouraged to submit your materials as soon as possible to allow for adequate follow-up time. Although we do not have a strict deadline, you are encouraged to submit your materials prior to September 12, 2013.
- Semi-finalist interviews- early/mid October
- Finalist interviews- early/mid November.